F. W. Fraley Store Paint Analysis
Paint analysis of the F W Fraley Store exterior surfaces revealed a complex succession of finishes beginning with a lead based white paint on the original 1906 structure. Subsequent surfaces were generally yellow with one return to white after 1950. Recognizing the significance of the collective memory of the people living in and near Catoctin Furnace, the decision was made to return the store to the ca. 1945-1950 yellow paint color which represents the third finish period of the 1928 (front) addition.